Activists today called for the formation of a civilian review board and an FBI investigation following Saturday's officer-involved shooting in the Bayview District.

Groups including the Idriss Stelley Foundation, SF Education Not Incarceration and the SF Bayview National Black Newspaper will gather Monday to issue a call for change in response to the shooting, said Mesha Irizarry, executive director of the Idriss Stelly Foundation.

The groups also want to see District Attorney George Gascon removed from the investigation, saying he has a conflict of interest since he was once chief of police, said Irizarry, who is also a member of San Francisco's marijuana oversight committee.

San Francisco police today announced that investigators have recovered a gun they believe was used by the 19-year-old man killed Saturday near a Bayview train platform.

The man had been detained by patrol officers conducting a fare inspection at a Municipal Transportation Agency light rail stop at Third Street and Palou Avenue at about 4:45 p.m., police Sgt. Michael Andraychak said.

The officers were stationed in the area as part of an increased police presence to respond to recent shootings in the neighborhood, Andraychak said.

The man ran from the officers and allegedly pulled out a handgun and shot at them as they chased him on foot, police said.

At least one of the officers returned fire and wounded the suspect.

He was taken to a hospital where he was pronounced dead at 7:01 p.m., police said.
No officers or witnesses were injured in the shooting.

Amateur video footage of the exchange showed that a passerby picked up the suspect's handgun in the aftermath of the shootout and took it from the area before investigators were able to establish a crime scene, police said.

With the help of witnesses, police were able to identify the individual who took the gun and retrieved it this afternoon, Andraychak said.

Police have not released the name of the man who was killed, citing an ongoing investigation.

The shooting has already triggered one impromptu demonstration, which took place shortly before 1 a.m. in the Mission District. An angry crowd gathered near 16th and Valencia streets for a walking demonstration.

Supervisor Malia Cohen on Saturday issued a statement expressing sympathy for the family of the man killed and urging anyone with information to contact the police.

"I intend to review the results of the internal investigation from the police department to ensure department protocol was followed," Cohen said.

SAN FRANCISCO - San Francisco police shot and killed a man who fled a routine transit fare inspection, firing on officers as he ran before being shot multiple times.

The unidentified 19-year-old man was approached by officers working a "crime reduction detail" in the city's crime-ridden Bayview district. As they began to question him, he ran and began firing back at the officers. At that point, at least one officer returned fire, striking and killing the man.

The aftermath of the shooting was captured on multiple cell phone videos. One video, seen below, is titled "SFPD Ruthlessly Shoots and Kills Unarmed 19yr old Man over $2 Bus Fair" and depicts a tumultuous scene following the shooting, as the suspect can be seen moving in a pool of blood. The crowd is heard angrily yelling at officers, claiming the shooting was prompted by the suspect's failure to pay the $2 fare.

Today, SFPD announced they recovered a gun they believed was used by the suspect.

"Someone picked up the firearm that the suspect had shot with and ran southbound up the street with it," San Francisco Police Chief Greg Suhr told ABC 7. "Luckily, someone else in the crowd took video...and officers have been able to track that firearm and we believe we have it in custody."

Suhr may be referring to the second video below, titled "Aftermath of Bayview gun battle in San Francisco", in which there appears to be a silver handgun on the sidewalk at around the 0:15 mark.

The suspect was also a person of interest in a fatal Seattle shooting that occurred last week, in which a pregnant woman died from her injuries. He had two felonies in Washington state, and was out on parole.

The shooting sparked protests both Saturday and Sunday in San Francisco's Mission and Bayview districts. The protests were largely controlled, with only minor damage reported and no arrests


No Response to "SFPD. Blatant Police Brutality Or Self Defense ???"

Post a Comment